We have posted a new schedule of willow basket making classes by Katherine Lewis for the first half of 2010. You can view all the info on the basket classes page on the Dunbar Gardens website. She is offering a variety of baskets and techniques, as well as trying to accommodate weavers with different levels of willow experience in most classes.
- February 27-28: Scallomed projects – oval shopper, magazine basket, square shopper
- April 10-11: Stake and strand projects – round gathering basket, oval shopper, oval garden basket
- May 1-2: Irish potato basket and fruit basket
- June 26-27: stake and strand projects – gathering basket, round laundry with roped handles, oval laundry
- mid August (specific dates to be announced): repeat of scallomed class from February
Katherine is also organizing an in depth four day class for July. This class will be for a smaller number of weavers looking for a more extensive experience. Possible projects will include square work and fitching. Some students have been asking for more in depth work with Katherine, and this will be the chance. People interested can contact Katherine for more details. (Need I say weavers with the necessary hand strength to go four days?)
We have also listed a couple of classes that she is teaching in other locations. She is offering an “Intro to fitching class” at the Northwest Basket Weavers Guild Spring Retreat March 25-26. The project is a lovely oval market basket. Katherine will also be traveling to Portland, Oregon May 20-24 to give a presentation and class to members of the Columbia Basin Basketry Guild.
Visit our website for more details, registration form, and photos of the baskets and past classes.